Marketing a pet store is all about making your store a fun and friendly place for pets and their owners. When customers and their pets feel welcome in your store, they’ll spend more time, and money, with you. Getting new customers in your store and keeping them there can sometimes be difficult, so here are some great ideas to help increase your traffic.
- Pet grooming-Offering grooming services at your store is a great idea because it makes you more of a one-stop shop. It increases the amount of time customers spend in your store, whether they browse around while their pet is being groomed or they leave and come back (more visits increases the odds that they will make a purchase). Have a special section for grooming that is clearly-identified with vinyl decals on the wall; put it in the back of your store so customers have to walk by all of your great products to get there.
- Pet adoption-Work out an agreement with the local animal hospital to host pets in your store that are available for adoption. new pet store near me These pets can be in your store full-time or just for periodic events. Hosting adoption events give you an opportunity to drive traffic into your store, and when a customer first adopts a pet, they’ll need lots of products for the pet, which is a perfect opportunity to your increase sales. During your adoption period, hang a vinyl banner in front of your store to let potential customers know you have pets available.
- New pet packages-As mentioned above, when customers have a new pet, they need a considerable amount of your products. Create a new pet package that offers customers a special deal on all the products they need to get started with their pet. Have a basket or package prepared for every type of animal (dog, cat, rabbit, bird, fish, etc.), as these are also great for gift-giving to a new pet owner.
- Doggie bags-Many of your customers will consider their pet to be like a child, so the better you treat the pets that come in your store, the more-likely you will keep their owners as a customer. Offer a “doggie bag” to pets that come in the store which is full of samples of the treats and food you sell. The pets will certainly appreciate the gift, and their owners will as well. Make sure to feature the products you include in your doggie bags in the front of your store with a poster, so that if the pet likes what’s in the bag, their owner can easily find more of them.
- Cutest pet contest-Hosting a cutest pet contest is another great way to bring customers into your store. Invite them to come and display their cute pet, and ask all the customers in your store to vote. The winner can receive a special prize or discounted merchandise, and offer coupons to the rest of the participants to spend that day in your store. Promote this event using yard signs around your shopping center and window clings in your storefront so that everyone sees you’re having a special event.
Michael Allen works as a Director of Marketing in Boston, Massachusetts. He has worked with both large companies and small local businesses for over 20 years. His vast experience in the field of marketing positions him as an expert in helping businesses expand by using marketing tactics.