Graduate record examinations or GRE is a standardized test that is required for taking admission in many graduate schools in the United States and Canada. This test has been owned and administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The establishment of this test has been done by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in 1936. By the mode of this exam, ETS aims to measure the verbal reasoning, financial math, analytical writing and critical thinking skills, all these skills have been acquired by a long period of learning. Nowadays, there are so many coaching centres available in different cities. For example, GRE Coaching centers in Hyderabad, Kolkata, Chandigarh, etc.
The content of the GRE includes certain algebra, geometry, arithmetic and vocabulary sections. This test is a computer-based test administered at testing centres and institutions owned or, we can say, authorized by Prometric.
Now we will talk about the structure of the GRE. This computer-based GRE general test includes six sections.
- The first section is the analytical writing section, which involves separately timed issue and argument tasks.
- The next five sections include two verbal reasoning sections, two quantitative reasoning sections and the last one is either an experimental or research section.
Now here we will discuss the different sections of the exam pattern elaboratively:
- Analytical Writing Section- This section will measure your ability to articulate complex ideas clearly and effectively; support ideas with reasons and ideas; examine claims and accompany evidence; sustain a well-focused discussion; control the elements of standard written English.
- Verbal reasoning- This section is to measure your ability to analyze and draw conclusions from discourse; understand multiple levels of meaning such as literal, figurative, etc.; select important points; distinguish major from minor; understand the structure of text; summarize text; Understand relationship among words and concepts; understand the meaning of words, sentences and entire texts.
- Quantitative reasoning- The quantitative reasoning section is for measuring your ability to analyze, understand and interpret the quantitative information; solve problems by using mathematical models; can apply basic skills and elementary concepts of arithmetic, algebra, data analysis, geometry. During this test, you will get an on-screen calculator.
- Experimental section- This section includes either verbal or quantitative questions, which contains new questions, which are considered by ETS for future use. Although. The experimental section is identical to the other scored sections and has been unidentified. As you don’t know which section is experimental. So, it is advised to focus on every section of the test to take better ranks.
In addition to this general test, there are also six GRE subject tests, which includes Biology, Chemistry, Literature in English, Psychology, Mathematics and Physics. For the preparation of this test, a variety of resources are available. ETS also provides preparation software, which contains two practice tests. GRE coaching centres available at different locations in different cities will also help you to prepare for GRE, such as GRE coaching centres in Hyderabad, Lucknow, Ludhiana. Jaipur, etc. By which, you can easily prepare for your GRE and can score good marks and ranks, which would be helpful for you to take admission in Good colleges in the US and Canada.